This lovely area used to be called the Waverly Belmont community and was bustling in the 1940’s. When the mid-20th century brought migration to the suburbs, Waverly Belmont fell into disrepair. In the 1990’s, developers began the process of restoring 12 South real estate to it’s original grandeur and today it is a truly spectacular neighborhood.
I’m proud to say that the founder of Village Real Estate, Mark Deutschmann, was one of the originators of the movement to restore 12 South, and our company is still the leader in Nashville’s urban renewal. Today, 12 South Real Estate is booming with a vibrant neighborhood that’s home to some of the best restaurants, shops, and COFFEE in Nashville.
The homes are beautifully renovated with a quaint neighborhood feel, and the new constructions blend in beautifully with the original architecture of the area.
Location, Location, Location
Another key feature of this area is that location can’t be beat. It’s conveniently situated three miles from downtown, but feels like a world away. With mature trees and lovely sidewalks, 12 South just feels good.
Quality of Life
The local, public elementary school, Waverly Belmont School, is quickly becoming one of the top elementary schools in Nashville. The building is an art deco gem built in 1935 as part of President Roosevelt’s Works Progress Administration (WPA) to help America recover from the Great Depression. In the mid-century the school fell to disrepair, was closed, and eventually became an administration building for the school district’s Information and Technology Department. In 2015, with hard work from neighborhood advocates, this beautiful structure renovated to perfection by Tuck-Hinton Architects, and the school reopened it’s doors with a top-notch staff. Call 615-800-7690 to schedule a tour and see for yourself… A great public elementary school is the cornerstone to a great community.
12 Things You’ll Love About Living in 12 South
- The 12 South Neighborhood Association is a non-profit that does great work to promote beautification, public safety, environmental conservation, historic preservation, appropriate development, zoning and codes compliance. They meet on the first Monday of each month at 6:30pm at the Sevier Park Community Center, and anyone is welcome to attend.
- The beautiful Sevier Park Community Center has a state-of-the-art gym, indoor basketball court, walking track, and an afterschool childcare program.
- The 12 South Farmer’s Market offers wonderful local produce, groceries, candles, soaps, arts, crafts, food trucks, and music May-October.
- Get the best popsicles on the planet at Las Paletas (try avocado or honeydew melon)
- One of the best burgers and fries in town at local favorite, Burger Up. How do they make those fries SO good? Yum.
- Grab a cupcake at any hour of the day or night at the Sprinkles CUPCAKE ATM – Red Velvet is their best seller but I love the Vanilla/Vanilla (their cookies are wonderful too – Can you tell I have a sweet tooth? haha)
- Get great hair and possibly sit next to your favorite country star at The Green Pea Salon
- To shop for artisanal southern goods, don’t miss White’s Mercantile
- Get a scoop at the Nashville favorite, Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams (try Goat Cheese with Cherries or Wildberry Lavender)
- Browse the hottest clothing shops in town including Imogene & Willie’s famous denim and Reece Witherspoon’s boutique, Draper James
- 12 South is also home to my favorite restaurant in all of Nashville, Urban Grub (I get the boiled shrimp with smoked gouda grits… delish!)
- AND my favorite coffee shop, Frothy Monkey. Great coffee, Great food, Great Vibe.
Ready to house hunt for 12 South Real Estate?
If you’d like to explore your options and learn more about 12 South Real Estate, give me a call at (615) 500-9513. I’d love to show you what’s currently on the market and chat more about this wonderful neighborhood.
This video from our Nashville Convention and Visitors Corp. shows many of the great restaurants and shops in the 12 South Neighborhood.